donderdag 26 maart 2015

Working in Prague and a new story

A few weeks ago I took a trip to Prague in the Czech republic to work with the amazing Factorio team. My job is to rework their promotional art. I am using the designs already plotted out for these artworks. It was a nice break from the graduation project. Even though I had plenty of time to work on my game over there in Prague.

After the first presentation the main question was: what is it that you want to tell with this game?
That's when I took some time to think about what I really want to do. What are my qualities? And what are my downsides? What did I experience so far in life?

That's when I thought about my disease called Crohn's disease. My brother and I both have it and he had to spend a while in the hospital for it. I remember him being incredibely bored. There was just nothing he could do. He didn't have a choice. He couldn't just head back home.

But something else also happened. My classmate Joost had to go to the hospital too for problems with his appendix. And he really had to as well. Not really much to choose there. 

That's when I came up with the idea and story for my game.
It's about 3 children sitting on their hospital beds in their shared room. Bored, but no where to go. That's when they start conjuring up this sci fi story. You might think: why sci fi? Well, all of the medical equipment in their room gave the kids some inspiration for their story. Their room could be a spaceship!
And so they spend their afternoons. Thinking about travelling through the galaxy in their spaceship (their room actually). They use whatever they can find for their story. Their teddybears turn into kind aliens, balloons turn into huge flying objects, the building blocks in their room turn to castles and cities and the plants in their room turn into vast jungles.
They spend so much time in their made up world that the fantasy world becomes real. It's their only escape out of the hospital (they can't just step out of the front door)

That's what my game will be about. Players become the children in the hospital. Travelling through their fantasy world. The story continues based on the players choices. And the real world and fantasy world are parallel to each other. Meaning that everything that happens in the real world will affect the fantasy world.

So far for a short introduction,
I will talk about symbolism, concequences and the story in the following posts.
Here are the first few black and white sketches for this story.








Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten