woensdag 25 februari 2015

What do we want to tell?

Or even better, what do I want to tell with my graduation project. I've made it clear that I will use a lot of images in my project. It's safe to say that that's my strongest asset, so I might as well put it to good use. The thing that I like to do most is telling stories with images. But what story do I want to tell? A generic sci-fi story or something that has a deeper meaning. Images could be use to tell different stories, ranging from war propaganda to cartoons that we read in the paper. Two old masters that told stories with their images were Albert Bierstadt and Caravaggio. Two painters with very distinct styles and very different angles.

Albert Bierstadt was a German-American painter known for his fantastic landscapes. He painted scenes with incredible amount of detail and romantic glowing light. His painting style is called Luminism.


Bierstadt wanted to give Europeans an impression of America. That's the story that he was telling with his paintings.

Carravagio on the other hand was an Italian master known for his bible themed paintings. He wanted to bring the bible to illiterate people by painting beautifull images.



Both artists have a very distinctive painting style and tell their own story. Bierstadt used landscapes to tell his story and Carravagio used figures to tell his story.

The question is. What is the story that I want to tell? 

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten